Sunday 7 April 2013

C is for Charity

I confess. I am a charityshopaholic. I am fortunate enough to have three charity shops within yards of my front door and I visit them all regularly, at least once a week.  The nearest one is great for clothes, and I have bought some vintage china and linen there too. Oh, and a gorgeous pashmina. And some shoes...
The middle one is very tiny and full of tat and gems.  My youngest loves to go there and peruse the Wii games and dvds. I tend to give a lot of stuff to them too, maybe I feel a bit motherly towards that one, it seems a bit more in need, and I love Christine who runs it. I've bought some vintage jewellery gems there, quite a lot of china and glassware, a silver tray and one of my favourite dresses which always attracts comments (and amazement when I say it was only £3).
The furthest one, all of a block away, has racks of clothing (most of which needs recycling to be honest) but the odd gem amongst it, and furniture.  I love the little display cabinet I bought there a while ago and my coat stand. Oh and the plate rack in my china room.
Another one I try to get to at least once a month is a short drive away, but on my way home from work. Inconveniently it closes at 4.0 p.m. every day so it's not often I get there in time - hence once a month!  But they do have great things every now and then. There was a whole Royal Albert dinner service in there for AGES, I hope it went to a happy home.  I also found a gorgeous sequined evening dress there, tag for £180 still on it - I was compelled to bring it to live with me although I've yet to find an occasion upon which to wear it. Thinking about it, that's the place I bought a fabulous necklace and one of my favourite vintage vases.
I have planned a day trip to The Charity Shops of Chiswick with a friend of mine in The Near Future - I shall report back....

No comments:

Post a Comment